William Wrigley Jr. bought Santa Catalina Island in 1919 beginning more than 50 years of ownership by the Wrigley family. Upon his death in 1932 his interest in the island was continued by his daughter Dorothy Wrigley Offield, and his son, Philip K. Wrigley. The creation of the Catalina Island Conservancy in 1972 and eventual transfer of the famly’s ownership insures that the island remain protected for all generations to enjoy. Philip K. Wrigley, also known as P. K. Wrigley, donated this trophy to the Club on September 1, 1934 for the purpose of promoting interest in sailboat races in the waters of Catalina Island. The deed specified that the race for the trophy was to be held on Labor Day weekend.